Have learned some great things at the Ownership Thinking Conference this week. Here’s one thing I learned about resolving conflict;
We all experience conflict in our lives. It’s just part of being human. Our ability to effectively deal with this inevitable conflict will have a direct affect on the quality of our relationships and consequently the level of peace and enjoyment we experience.
Here are seven steps to managing conflict:
1. Communicate your intention. What are are hoping to achieve from your discussions forever? Clearly state your intentions.
2. Share your truth. Calmly explain how you see things
3. Genuinely enquire and actively listen to understanding the truth from the other person This is the important part. By truly seeing to understand the views of the other person you will be far better placed to develop a solution. It’s far more effective to ask questions than it is to be constantly telling the other person what you want.
4. Create an agreed understanding There will always be common ground that you can work together on.
5. Explore options and solutions. There will always be options on how to overcome forward together
6. Make commitments and define actions. Create a genuine desire to move forward in a collaborative manner
7. Trust and Challenge your commitments Be true to yourself and the other person.
Life is too short to have unresolved conflict.
Interested in retaining your key employees?
Get your free ESOP whitepaper.